August tends to represent the end for some of us. The summer winds down, meaning no more 10-hour long gaming sessions and the beginning of books and studying. That doesn’t mean the game releases slow down though! While we won’t see as many AAA titles compared to recent months, August has plenty to offer gamers who wish for a distraction from the harsh stress of school or work. With that in mind, let’s take a look at five promising games coming out in August 2019.
1. RADFrom the developers at Double Fine Productions comes RAD, an action rouge-like that has you traveling a ravaged world full of radioactivity and mutation. Set after two world-wide apocalyptic events, you are tasked to venture into the wasteland known as the Fallow in order to find a way to heal the world and save what’s left of it.
The unique aspect of this game comes from the RNG-like mutation mechanic. As you progress through the Fallow, you will end up gaining mutations that can aide you in various ways. The trick is that each mutation you get is randomized, meaning one player could end up with bat wings, while another at the same point could receive a flaming skull for a head. This will likely lead to differentiating play-throughs and added replay value, which only benefits a game. Explore the Fallow and become something new when RAD releases for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo Switch on August 20th.
2. Life Is Strange 2: Episode 4The emotional journey continues with episode 4 of DONTNOD Entertainment’s latest entry in the Life Is Strange series. For those unaware, Life Is Strange 2 is an episodic novel-like game that follows brothers Sean and Daniel as they make their way to Mexico after a tragic incident. As you progress, you will have to make various choices that will greatly effect the outcome of the story.
Don’t worry, we won’t reveal any spoilers for those of you who have yet to experience previous episodes, but be aware that each tells an impacting narrative with both heart-warming moments and dark real world topics. Watch the progression of a beautiful tale when Episode 4 of Life Is Strange 2 releases for PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 22nd.
3. OninakiOninaki explores the idea life beyond death and the ties that connect both. From Tokyo RPG Factory, this action RPG has you play as Kagachi, a watcher who helps wandering souls called the Lost move on from the material world.
Oninaki focuses on hack-and-slash combat with special abilities that can be obtained and spirits that will aid you called Daemons. Each Daemon is unique and will provide you with a powerful skill to use in battle, such as a special sword move or a dragon-summoning attack. The ability to switch between Daemons in real-time offers interesting strategical gameplay that won’t seem to disappoint. If all of this still hasn’t convinced you, then we encourage you to try the free demo that is currently out now and decide for yourself! Learn what happens beyond death when Oninaki releases for PC, PS4, and the Nintendo Switch on August 22nd.
4. ControlLooking for something with a little more of a paranormal feel? Well look no further than Remedy Entertainment’s Control. While not exactly a horror, this action adventure game has you play as the new head of a secret organization tasked to study the supernatural, reality-bending phenomena of the world. After an entity known as the Hiss manages to contaminate all of reality, it’s up to you and your various other-worldly abilities to explore the New York Headquarters and restore reality.
True to the sci-fi feel of the game, Control has you wielding a special weapon called the Service Weapon, which changes form to provide an assortment of different combat styles. On top of that, you will possess various abilities, such as telekinesis and levitation, that will aid you in exploring the game’s world. Change the fabric of reality when Control releases for PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 27th.
5. Astral ChainWe might no be seeing Bayonetta 3 any time soon, but PlatinumGames hasn’t left us completely behind. Enter Astral Chain: a thrilling action game with exciting combat that will keep you on the edge of your seat. the game takes place in a floating city called the Ark, where mysterious dimensional wholes begin to open and let loose alien monsters. As a newly appointed Neuron officer, you and your Legion, a living weapon that fights alongside you, must defend the Ark and defeat these alien creatures.
With this new title coming from PlatinumGames, it’s no surprise that the combat features flashy and satisfying battles with various combos to perform. What makes Astral Chain stand out is the legions. Combat focuses on cooperative gameplay with you and your Legion in order to truly succeed, with many executable attacks that occur when both of you fight in sync. Combine this with quests that incorporate detective-style investigating, and you have what could result in one of the best games of the Summer. Fight along with your Legion when Astral Chain releases for the Nintendo Switch on August 30th.
What games are you looking forward to this August 2019? Let us know in the comments below! For more gaming content, check out our review of The Blackout Club and take a look at our character study on Atreus from God of War.